The Word of God:
- IN Genesis 1, creation is brought about by God’s very words.
- IN Genesis 1:30, living creatures have the “breath of life” in them.
- IN Genesis 2:7, God breathes this breath of life into the creation made in His image (Man and Woman). We are brought to life initially by God’s very breath.
- IN Genesis 3:15, A Word of Promise is given to humanity.
- IN Genesis 12, God’s word calls Abram out of Ur.
- IN Exodus 3:4, God calls on Moses to deliver the Jews out of Egypt.
- IN Exodus 20, God gives his people ten “words”.
- IN Ezekiel 37, God commands the prophet to speak His words to the remains of Bones (in his vision). The result: The bones came to Life. “So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet–a vast army.” (Ezekiel 37:7-10).
- IN John 1, the Word takes on flesh to bring about salvation for God’s people.
- IN the Gospels, Jesus comes to preach God’s Word, to embody it, and to accomplish God’s aforementioned will of a perfect atoning death and resurrection.
- IN Matthew 28, The Word, Jesus, tells his followers to go out into the world and preach the message of reconciliation to God through faith in the Word (Jesus Christ).
- IN Luke 24, Jesus tells the disciples that the Old Testament was about Him.
- IN Romans 10, Paul tells us that “faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.” (Rm 10:17)
- IN 2 Peter 1, Peter tells us all prophecy of Scripture comes from God’s will, as moved by the Holy Spirit. It is God speaking. God’s word.
- AND THUS, in 2 Timothy, the author states that the Scriptures are able to instruct one to salvation through Christ Jesus (whom the texts testify to, as Jesus notes in Lk 24). “All Scripture is God breathed [theopneustos] and is profitable for…” (2 Tm :15-17).
What brings life in the Scriptures? Recall Genesis 2: the “breath of life” brings humanity to life. What brings God’s people into existence? God’s Words of promise, as seen with Abram and Moses. Who is the fulfillment of the words of promise? Christ Jesus (Jn 1). What does Scripture witness to? The Word of God who saves, Christ Jesus (Lk 24, Jn 20:30-31). What is Scripture? The very breath of God (theopneustos) that testifies to Jesus, and thus brings life as the “breath of life” breathed into man brought initial life. NOTE: The “breath of life”, and the God-breathed (theopneustos). Thus why we call Scripture the Word of God (God’s Word). Thus why it is the ultimate rule of Faith. Thus why it is to be proclaimed in boldness. Thus why it is complete for the man of God.